Clyston Mill

1 : Introduction to Killerton
2 : Killerton House and Gardens
3 : Killerton House Interior

4 : Killerton Chapel
5 : Broadclyst
6 : Clyston Mill

7 : Broadclyst Church
8 : Marker's Cottage

This picture of Clyston Mill and Mill House is reproduced with acknowledgement to the British Listed Buildings website.


Clyston Mill is probably on the site of the mill recorded in Domesday Book in 1086. The mill was worth 20 shillings, or ₤1, a year.

The present mill (to the left of the above picture) is made of red sandstone rubble and is three storeys high with a half-hipped slate roof.

The house (on the right of the picture) has two storeys and a slate roof.

The current mill, thought to have been built in the late 18th century, has an undershot iron waterwheel situated under the weather-boarded lean-to extension over the mill stream.

The wheel (right and below) was installed by the Taylor and Bodley company of Exeter in 1880 and is 4.45 metres in diameter by 1.47 metres width (14.5 feet by 5.8 feet). The wheel has many of is original timber paddles.

The mill building is relatively complete internally, with its original floors and room divisions.

Some of the original mill machinery has been moved to Cotehele Mill in Cornwall, another National Trust property.

There are three pairs of millstones, one is used to grind coarse meal for animal feed and two pairs to grind finer flour for human consumption.

Picture (left) of mill worker feeding corn to the grinder.

Grinder machinery (below). The millstones are not visible.

Collecting ducts and trough for flour for human consumption after grinding (left).

Collecting coloured coarse meal for animals (right and below).

Mill worker's bedroom (above)

Return to Broadclyst past the Mill House.(below)

buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes