Killerton House (Exterior) and Gardens Part 1

1 : Introduction to Killerton
2 : Killerton House and Gardens
3 : Killerton House Interior

4 : Killerton Chapel
5 : Broadclyst
6 : Clyston Mill

7 : Broadclyst Church
8 : Marker's Cottage

Killerton is an 18th-century house, which, with its hillside garden and estate, has been owned by the National Trust since 1944 and is open to the public.

The estate covers some 2590 hectares (6400 acres). Included in the Estate is a steep wooded hillside with the remains of an Iron Age Hill fort on top of it.

The following is edited with acknowledgement to 'Britain Express' and editor David Ross :

"The manor of Columb John in the parish of Broadclyst was purchased by Sir John Acland (d.1620), MP and High Sheriff of Devon. The adjoining estate of Killerton was purchased a short time thereafter by his nephew Sir Arthur Acland (d.1610) of Acland in the parish of Landkey as jointure for his wife Eleanor Mallet.

"The present Georgian Killerton House was built for Sir Thomas Acland, 7th baronet, in 1778.

"The 18 acre hillside garden contained within 4000 acres of woods was originally created at the time the house was built by Scotsman John Veitch.

"Veitch was an interesting character; the story goes that he walked from Edinburgh to London to look for work.

"He found employment as a nurseryman, and Sir Thomas Acland asked him to create a garden at Killerton, improving on the natural landscape.

"Veitch and his son James created a network of woodland paths and planted varieties of foreign trees and shrubs, including Wellingtonia.

"Because of its mild climate Killerton was used as something of a trial ground for plants brought back from all corners of the globe, and many plants which are now found throughout the British Isles were first planted at Killerton.

"Later the influential Victorian garden writer William Robinson had a hand in the design of the Killerton gardens. Killerton is famous for trees and shrubs. There are a series of terraced beds, with dwarf shrubs and copious rhododendrons. Circular walks through the woods provide for an enjoyable outing."

From 'English Heritage' :

"Following the abandonment of James Wyatt's scheme for a house on a new site in 1779, Johnson's house was retained, and enlarged in 1830.

"Further additions including a billiard room to the north-east of the original block were made in 1900 and a new entrance hall was designed by Randall Wells in 1924 (pictured right).

"Johnson's house comprises two storeys under a hipped slate roof, the walls being stuccoed with stone dressings.

"The south facade, originally the entrance front, retains the original recessed front door flanked by early 19th century ships' cannon from a family yacht (pictured below).

"The west front was extended north in the early 19th century, when the balcony and verandah supported on open-work iron columns was added (also pictured below)."

For more details of the house and family history please the Introduction Page here .

Nineteenth century ship's cannon at the entrance to Killerton House (above and right).

From 'Gardenvisit.com':

"(Killerton) is an eighteenth century house with a hillside garden. There are fine lawns and views of Dartmoor.

"It is a Victorian garden with three features of historic interest:

(1) an arboretum made by the famous Exeter nurseryman, John Veitch,
(2) a large rock garden in an old quarry,
(3) a parterre designed by William Robinson, with Coade stone urns.

"Since Robinson is known to history as the advocate of Wild gardens, the parterre at Killerton, like the parterre at Robinson's own house, is a feature of some curiosity."

buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes
buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes